AFL-CIO United Way Partnership: Together we can accomplish so much more.
The mission of United Way of The Plains is to improve lives by mobilizing resources to meet community needs. AFL-CIO’s mission is to improve the lives of working families to bring economic justice to the workplace and social justice to our nation. The partnership between these two organizations further strengthens these ambitious missions.
Working together, the AFL/CIO United Way Partnership provides members with the opportunity to shape their community through volunteer services and a direct link to information on health and human services.
Our AFL-CIO Community Services Liaison, Mario Cervantes, cultivates relationships with union members and local labor organizations to enhance support of United Way and of the community.
AFL-CIO Community Services Program
The AFL-CIO Community Services grew from organized labor's desire to help members and serve our communities. The programs and staff are a valuable resource for our central labor councils and the AFL-CIO and will help increase capacity for unions to raise community standards. Community Services is a means to help improve the lives of working families and the communities whereÂ they live and advocate to reduce workers' need for services by helping to ensure they can earn good wages and benefits in a secure community.
The Community Services goals include:
- Build Local Unions and Capacity for the Central Labor Council
- Establish and maintain an active Community Services Committee
- Conduct UCAN training's recruit and train union community activists.
- Improve Support Systems, Public and Private, for Workers and Their Families so They Are Better Served
- Facilitate labor representation in community organizations
- Provide education and support for public policy campaigns
- Provide Services to Workers and Their Families
- Coordinate dislocated worker programs.
- Provide education and information on services, programs and issues.
- Provide Services to the Community
- Coordinate fundraising for United Way and disaster relief
- Coordinate volunteer recruitment, training and placement
- Improve the Social and Economic Conditions of Working Families to Reduce Their Need for Services and Assistance
- Support living wage campaigns.
- Promote economic development and job skills training.
There is a lot to do in our community and with your help we will make it a better place to live, work and raise our families. If you would like to get involved in this important program contact Mario Cervantes at (316) 267-1321 or firstname.lastname@example.org